Along This Wall is an online exhibition of writing and visual art from all countries and cultures, showcasing the untold stories that need to be heard. Come share a poem, a photograph, a drawing or a short story that tells how your life has been touched by cancer.

Monday, March 10, 2008

A beginning

Hi! I'm Jarra.

I am an avid traveller, photographer and film maker. I focus my time working with NGOs as an advocate for social justice issues. This month I'm walking 230km along The Great Wall of China, in the company of cancer survivors and international celebrities, to raise funds for The Olivia Newton-John Cancer and Wellness Centre. You can learn much more about what this amazing team is achieving by visiting http://www.greatwalktobeijing.com.

Over the years, as cancer has come into the lives of my family and friends, we have witnessed unbelievable suffering, but always matched by incredible courage. My cousin passed away many years ago. His parents now struggle through each day. My best friend lost his father. He held his family together. Today I visited an internet blog I've been reading for many years, AuspiciousDragon, the personal journal of a woman battling secondary cancer. Her long battle, inspiring and at once heart breaking, is coming to an end. Her husband, Colin Jago writes - "We never did climb those mountains. I hope you climb yours before it is too late." But she climbed many mountains, she walked 'that wall' all its length. We've never met, but through her willingness to Be, to communicate, to reach out, I've shared a little in her story, in her struggle, in her triumphs and in her slow passing from this world. And so I need to climb.

I would like to walk the Great Wall for Christian Jago. I would like to 'meet' her Auspicious Dragon.

No comments:

Previous Entries